I wrote more this week than I have in a long time here on this blog, so in case you missed some of my posts throughout the week, I’ve put them all here for you guys to check out!!
- Melanin Monday: Otome Games/ Visual Novels Featuring Black & Brown Characters– Since this is an otome game blog, I figured at least one of these Melanin Monday posts should be about Black and brown characters in otome games/visual novels. So I compiled a list of games that featured characters with darker skin tones. This isn’t a comprehensive list of every game with dark skinned characters, but it does the trick for now.
- So I’ve Kinda Been Nominated for a Versatile Blogger Award…Anime Edition!!– Yay! Another Blogging Award nomination, this time from the delightful Shojo from Shojo Thoughts: Otaku Ramblings!! She is such a fantastic blogger, and I can’t thank her enough for nominating me for the award!
- [First Thoughts] Irresistible Mistakes– A first impressions/review post about Voltage Inc.’s newest app, Irresistible Mistakes, that cover my thoughts about the characters and the premise! In this game the MC has a one night stand with a complete stranger only to discover that her one time bed buddy happens to be one of her co-workers?! Voltage had me at one night stand!
- I Slept With My Boss?!: Irresistible Mistakes- Shunichiro Tachibana Main Story– A main story review for the first bachelor in Voltage Inc.’s newest app, Irresistible Mistakes! After a night of heavy drinking, the MC discovers that she slept with her boss, Creative Director, Shunichiro Tachibana. Can love develop from a one night stand or is this just a booty call?
- My Top 10 Favorite Generation Six Pokemon– It’s been a long time since I wrote my last Pokemon Top 10 list, I originally intended to have all of these posts done before the release of Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, but one thing lead to another… ah well, better late than never! This time around, I’ll be covering my Top Ten Gen 6 Pokémon.
- Chess of Blades- Demo Review– Chess of Blades is an upcoming commercial Boys Love (BL) mystery romance visual novel from indie English game developers Argent Games. When Rivian Varrison, the disillusioned son of a famous nobleman, is forced to attend a five day celebration for the King, he finds himself in danger when a crime is committed. The Kickstarter is set to end in just THREE DAYS so definitely check it out HERE!!
- Thrifty Gaming: Games That Won’t Blow Your Budget #13– This is the post where I spotlight three visual novels for gamers on a budget. Every game featured is priced $10 or less, so definitely check out this week’s thrifty picks!!
- Fangirl Moment: Ohayou To Oyasumi To Sono Ato Ni– I fell in love with this cute BL manga from the very first page, even in spite the fact that I don’t usually start series that are still being scanlated! Ohayou To Oyasumi To Sono Ato Ni is a sweet four volume slice of life, boys love manga by Hamada Kamome. This is just a cute story about how destiny can bring the most important people into your life in the strangest ways.
- The Guy I Like is Filthy Rich: Kissed By The Baddest Bidder- Eisuke Ichinomiya Review– For April 1st, I wrote an honest and heartfelt review about one of my absolute favorite Voltage Inc. guys, Eisuke Ichinomiya. He is a wonderful character that far surpasses any I have ever read before, so definitely check out my honest thoughts on the character and his route!! *This is an April Fools review*
New This Week:
- Dicesuki Games announced the official release date for their free to play fantasy visual novel Cinderella Phenomenon.
- 3/28/2017 early release for Kickstarter Backers
- 4/4/2017 will be the official release
- MangaGamer made some new game announcements at Anime Boston this past week! Here are the games that were announced:
- Idea Factory International finally revealed the Limited Edition of Hakuouki: Kyoto Winds, through their official Twitter account earlier this week!
- OKKO Games released their newest free to play mobile otome game, Decoding Desire earlier this week!!
- GB Patch Games is attempting to get their upcoming visual novel, Floret Bond Greenlit for Steam! Learn more about the game and show your support on Steam by clicking, HERE!
- Dogenzaka Labs is holding a 2nd Anniversary Sale on Steam on THREE of their otome game titles until April 3rd!
- My Butler is now 50% off, so snag it at $4.99 instead of the usual $9.99 by clicking, HERE!
- The Amazing Shinsengumi: Heroes in Love is now 75% off, that’s only $3.99 instead of the normal retail price of $15.99!! Take advantage of the sale price by clicking, HERE!
- And last but certainly not least, save a whopping 80% off their office romance game, Office Lovers by clicking the link, HERE!
- An updated version of Ebi-Hime’s first visual novel, Lily of the Valley is trying to get greenlit for Steam!
- Until April 3rd all of the routes for roseVeRte’s East Tower series are on sale, 50% OFF individual stories, and 63% OFF on the Bundle!!
- Steam is having an Anime Weekend Sale!! Over 26 Otome games are on sale this weekend, to check out the sale items click, HERE!
- Aksys is holding a Twitter campaign for a free copy of The Nonary Game code for PS4!! Retweet this tweet, before April 3rd @ 5PM PST for a chance to win!!
- The fourth installment of the Lonely Wolf Treat series, Wandering Wolf Trick was released on itch.io.
- Click HERE to download the game for free!
- Michaela Laws released an extra epilogue for their supernatural romance visual novel, Seduce Me, Simon’s Revenge (Matthew’s Epilogue)!
- Download the epilogue for free, HERE!
- Argent Games is looking for support with their Thunderclap campaign for their upcoming BL visual novel Chess of Blades, click HERE to show your support!!
- Aeon Dream Studios the developers behind Mystic Destinies Serendipity of Aeons and it’s upcoming sequel Mystic Destinies: Echoes announced their newest project, a BTS fan visual novel called, To the Edge of the Sky.
- For more info, check out the official announcement from their Tumblr page, HERE!
- E2 Gaming announced that their localization of Primula’s Taisho Alice series has been delayed yet again. The new release date is now April 17th!
- English game developers, Winter Wolves is currently having a sale on select games!
- Check out their site to see which games are included in the sale, HERE!
- An updated demo is available for Date or Die a reality TV based visual novel with a bit of a sinister twist.
- Download the updated demo that covers the prologue of the game, HERE!
- Dogenzaka Lab announced that they will be releasing two new otome game titles in English on Steam this spring: Campus Nightlife and The Charming Empire!
- Both games will be released with full Japanese voice acting for $29.99 each!
- The Kickstarter Campaign for Steamberry Studio’s upcoming visual novel Changeling is still going strong!!
- The Kickstarter Campaign for Pixel Pineberry Studio’s upcoming visual novel AI•dol is still going strong!!
- An English patch for Re: BIRTHDAY SONG ~Koi wo Utau Shinigami~ is now available for download, HERE!
- Note: Link is just for the patch in order for the patch to work you will need to purchase a copy of the game!
- Träumendes Mädchen, the team behind the upcoming visual novel, Chronotopia is attempting to get one of their previous titles, Ambre, Greenlit for Steam!
- The Kickstarter Campaign for the upcoming romance visual novel His Chuunibyou Can’t Be Cured is still underway!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The Kickstarter Campaign for the Sekai Project’s mystery visual novel, Fatal Twelve is still going strong!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The Kickstarter Campaign for the queer post apocalyptic visual novel, Who We Are Now, is still truckin’ along!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The Kickstarter Campaign for the visual novel/puzzle game, Love Mythos: Sanctuary Island, will be winding down in a few days!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The Kickstarter Campaign for Lizard Hazard Games’s upcoming LGBTQ visual novel/resource management game, Your Royal Gayness will end in less than 10 days!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The Kickstarter Campaign for Argent Games’s upcoming BL visual novel Chess of Blades will be winding down in just 3 days!!
- We now have official release dates for Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds!! NA: May 16th & EU: May 19th!
- XSEED released their newest farming/life-simulator game, Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns!
- The game can be purchased from Amazon, HERE!
- The Kickstarter Campaign for the Sekai Project’s upcoming visual novel trilogy, A Clockwork Ley-Line, is still going strong!!
- Check out the campaign, HERE.
- The annual visual novel jam, NaNoRenO, will start on March 1st and run until April 3rd, 2017!!
- Learn more about the Jam and sign up, HERE!
- Idea Factory Intl announced that there are plans to release the second half of Hakuouki Shinkai Hana no Shou in English! The first part of the game is being localized under the title Hakuoki Kyoto Winds, in the Spring!
- Read the note from Iffy on their Facebook page, HERE!
- The English localization of Otomate’s Period: Cube ~ Shackles of Amadeus ~ finally has an official release date of April 25th, 2017!
- Amazon is officially accepting pre-orders, HERE!
- D3Publisher’s Hyakka Hyakurou: Sengoku Ninpoujou is getting an English release on steam under the name Nightshade!
- The game will be fully voiced and will $34.99!
- However, upon it’s release Nightshade will be available for 20% off the retail price!!
- For more information about the game, check out the Official Site!
- GB Patch’s upcoming free to play visual novel Floret Bond check that out by clicking, HERE!
Poll Results for “Do You Prefer Characters…”
So to wrap up Megane Madness Month I ran a special megane themed poll!! There were a total of 37 votes, and I want to give a big thank you to everyone that took the time to participate!! So the results:
- You guys really like the to tease me with these polls; coming in at number one were “characters with and without glasses” with 13 votes!
- In the number two spot was “I don’t care” with 7 votes…
- And my poor meganes coming in at number three with just 6 votes!
- I really just threw the “eyepatch” option in there for kicks and giggles since I find them kind of sexy!
The Blog Renovations are COMPLETE (for now)!
Some of you may have noticed that things look a little different here at Nice Job Breaking It, Hero *hides Cheshire-like grin* It took me a month, but I finally have everything set up the way I want it with a brand new theme and improved menus!! Of course there are still some things that I have to check, but for the most part, everything is done!
- Theme Change: I changed the theme to something a bit more streamlined, there was nothing wrong with the other one, I just wanted the ol’ blog to look a little more sleek! Also purple is my favorite color, so I’ve been incorporating it into all of my blog themes since forever 😛
- Header Image: I am in need of a new header image, so if anyone wants to suggest anything, I’m all ears! Until then though, Tsukki will be the header until I can figure something else out!
- Updated Menus: Now this is where the bulk of the changes happened! I wanted to make finding posts as easy as possible for you guys, so…
- I added page jumps to pages with more than 20 items on them and I organized links by topic (separated by personalized headers).
- All pages/menu options with fewer than 5 posts were just linked by categories, so you will have to scroll through those posts like you would on the home page!
- Sidebar: This is roughly the same as before, but I’ll be adding affiliate link stuff there soon and updating it with a game stuff soon… ya know, because this is a gaming blog after all!
Please guys, I need your help with the renovations, if you see something wonky or find a link/page jump that doesn’t work PLEASE tell me about it! I have a lot of content to go through and it is literally just me running this show and I am human, I miss stuff all the time… so if you see something weird please let me know. 🙂
*PS: I know about the last week today formatting issue… I’m working on it! 🙂
I’ll be writing for MANGA.TOKYO!!
So I mentioned that I had a super special awesome announcement, well here it is! I heard about this site through my work with OWL: Otaku Warriors for Liberty and Self-Respect and when our dear secretary mentioned that there might be a chance to write for them I jumped at the opportunity.
MANGA.TOKYO cover a wide range of topics related to Japan and Japanese media, so there’s something for everyone there!! I’m still getting stuff set up with them, so I don’t have anything up yet, but I’ll definitely keep you guys posted about that!! Yay!! I’m so excited and a bit nervous about this since, this’ll be my first time writing for an official site like this… but, I figure if I can write about what I love it’ll be fun!
Well, I finally broke down and signed up for some Affiliate Program so that I could possibly make a bit of cash doing this blogging thing. The way affiliate programs work is that I earn a small commission on any products you all buy using my affiliate links. Right now I’m enrolled in Affiliate Programs for Amazon.com, MangaGamer, and Play-Asia so expect affiliate links to show up every so often in my posts in the near future. I will let you all know in advance if a post contains any affiliate links and I will update my sidebar with links to specific games and products.
The third OWLS Blog Tour- Sanctuary has come to an end… Here are the final stops of the March tour and the first three stops on the April- Colors Tour!!
A sanctuary is a place of safety and stability. In anime, there are several different places and environments that characters call “home.” For this topic, we will be discussing various locations and settings within certain anime series.
Each OWLS member will be uploading their individual posts throughout the month of March! This week’s Blog Tour guides were Nick Burkhalter (Chasing Japan), who wrote about the sanctuary in Gundam Wing, Katrina Sade (Grimm Girl) who wrote about sanctuary in Ace of Diamond, and Pink-chan (Pinky’s Palace) who wrote about sanctuary in Fairy Tail!
This Week’s OWLS Blog Tour Stops
- Matthew Castillo (Matt-in-the-Hat)– April 3rd
- Venus (Japanime Talks)– April 5th
- Naja (Nice Breaking It, Hero)– April 7th
There is just plenty of Blog Tour Stops coming your way this month so be on the look out for announcements on the Official OWLS Twitter @OWLSbloggers, where we will keep you guys updated on each of the upcoming posts and other OWLS news!
I really want to hear from you guys, let me know what you think of Nice Job Breaking It, Hero. What do you think about this change? Do you guys like my posts? Is there something you think I should fix or add? Please feel free to let me know here in the comments section, or you can use this contact form!
Okay, so I was a little ambitious with last week’s schedule, so I ended up only doing half of what I said I would, but, I’m still happy that I was able to write as much as I did!! I want to keep the momentum going, this week, but not quite on the same level. Of course this goes without say, but this list is ALWAYS subject to changes since new games come out every other day… So, this week’s posts:
- Let’s Show Our Support for Who We Are Now- This is a queer post apocalyptic visual novel that is currently running a KS campaign! It looks like an interesting game, so I’ll right one of my KS Campaign overview posts!
- Let’s Show Our Support for Soulless Wonder- One of the developers contacted me about this unique monster girl VN earlier last week, so after giving it the once over I decided to write up a post about it since it’s currently running a KS campaign!
- Bacchikoi Expansion Pack Review- I guess, I’m a glutton for punishment since I played yet another Black Monkey Pro game despite my lackluster reactions to their previous two BL game titles…
- A Random Voltage Review- Yeah, it’s exactly what it says, I’ll literally look at all of the Voltage routes (I have a lot) that I have and randomly pick one using one of those online randomizers. I don’t even know what game or route it will be, so keep an eye out for that! If this goes well, I’ll do this every week!
- Thrifty Gamer- This is the post where I spotlight three visual novels for gamers on a budget. Every game featured is priced $10 or less, so definitely check out this week’s thrifty picks!!
- Fangirl Moment: I’ll Give It My All Tomorrow- For this week’s Fangirl Friday post, I’ll be covering a slice of life comedy, manga by Shunju Aono!
- Nothing Planned- I’m just going to leave this day open in case I have to move things around or, I don’t know, want to sleep or something productive like that!
No Poll This Week!! 🙂
Here we are again at the end of another Recap Post, where I highlight four interesting posts from other bloggers that showed up on my Reader this past week…
The Hiatus Is Over: Living With Depression and General Anxiety Disorder– This post comes from Katrina Sade of GrimmGirl.com! This is a very personal post from one of my favorite bloggers on WordPress, in it she details her experiences living with Depression and General Anxiety Disorder. Not many people like to speak about their struggles with their health, so it’s great that Kat was comfortable enough to share this with us! If you or anyone you know is struggling with something, please know that you are not alone!!
Arria’s Top 4 Shounen-Ai Manga (With Hot Bishies of course)– This post comes from Arria Cross of Fujinsei! I absolutely love Boy Love works, so this post was definitely right up my alley! Of course there were a few titles on this list that I’d already read, but there was one that I’d never heard of so this list definitely did its job! Check out this fun list of cute boys love titles that will make your heart race!
Hiiro No Kakera Review– This post comes from Yukinocake of The Only Shinyuu Site! Anime based on otome games can be pretty hit or miss, some are fantastic, while others… not so much. While this isn’t the best otome to anime adaption to date, it isn’t the worst and that’s just what I got from this honest review of the series!
CHICHI VS BULMA!!! (VERSUS TUESDAY)– This post comes from Anime Girls NYC of Anime Girls NYC! I love these Versus Tusday post, they are just so much fun!! For this week’s post, we’re asked who would win in a fight, Chi-Chi or Bulma! These DBZ wives definitely have their own “strengths” so stop on by Anime Girls NYC and choose your victor!!
So here we are at the end of this week’s post! Be sure to check out some of the bloggers from this week’s Weekly Blogger Spotlight, and drop them a line! Strike up a conversation or make a new friend! Don’t be shy get out there and mingle! 😉 Also, don’t worry if your post wasn’t featured in this week’s recap, keep writing and keep posting! I’ll keep my eye out!
See something in your Reader this week that you wanna share? Tell me what you think about my post? Anything you want to see more of? Less of? Have an idea for a post? Shoot me a line in the comments section or Message me on Twitter! Don’t be shy, I swear I don’t bite! I appreciate input and discussions from my readers so let your voice be heard…and finally, as always Thank You for reading!