So I have been sitting on this for a few days…but I was nominated by my fellow blogger Boba and Games for the Blogger Recognition Award! Thank you so much for the nomination!
So there are rules…
- Write a post explaining why you started blogging along with a few tips.
- Nominate some of your fellow bloggers.
- Comment on their blogs to let them know you’ve nominated them.
Why I Started Blogging…
This is probably why it has taken me so long to write this post…
So I actually created this blog about a year ago, but never wrote anything! It just kind of sat there like a piece of unnamed internet dark matter, collecting dust and cobwebs (or whatever neglected pages do on the internet)…Then I started graduate school…
I’m finishing up my final year of my Masters in Global Health, which means I do a lot of research writing. Mostly about infectious disease, health policy, advocacy, and other public health stuff. Don’t get me wrong I love the health field, especially mental health in developing countries, but sometimes you just need a break! So I started this blog as a way to appease my inner procrastinator. I often get really distracted when I have assignments, the bigger the paper the worse it is, so I came up with a brilliant plan! The idea was that as long as I was going to procrastinate on that important research proposal, I might as well do something semi-productive….I mean procrastinating is fine as long as I’m writing about something.
So when I had to come up with a name for my blog I turned to TV Tropes for inspiration! The trope Nice Job Breaking It, Hero comes about when the good guy does something they think is right (ie. defeating the villain) at the time, but ultimately makes everything worst. Life is like that you think you’re doing the right thing, when you just seem to make everything worse, but the mark of a true hero is that they never give up. So despite a few screw ups here or there you just keep going, plus I like the irony of the whole thing!
Then I had to come up with something to write about, I played around with games, Pokemon, food, otome, graduate school woes, and just trying to be an adult…it was too hard to narrow down my interests to one thing so i didn’t! I write about what ever I want, mostly otome/otoge and Pokemon, but if I like something and I want people to know about it, I’ll write about it. Besides none of my friends like otome games, most think I’m crazy, but hey it is what it is…So its super nice that I can talk about them with fellow bloggers that share my love of pixel men!
- Write what you love! You don’t have to limit yourself to one topic, you can if you want, but you don’t have to. Write what makes you happy. You can always tell when someone is writing about something they’re passionate about, their feelings are contagious! The best blogs aren’t always the most well written, the best blogs are the ones that get you interested.
- Don’t worry about what other people say. Do you!
- Talk to other bloggers…reply to comments and comment on blogs you like. Build a network, get to know what’s out there, collaborate! The internet is big, make friends!
- Have fun! Don’t worry too much about what to write, what’s important is that you write, and have fun doing it. Never let blogging stop being fun!